Change is something I’ve never been good at handling. For as long as I can remember, having to adjust to change was a shock to my system because I love having structure and routine in my life. If I know that the way I’m doing something works, then I’m less likely to try something different. Lately I’ve been challenging myself to do things differently, to ease myself into change little by little. I know that I wouldn’t be helping myself if I implemented a change that was drastic and sudden (like shaving off my hair), so I’ve been changing things about my daily routine here and there.
- I’ve been trying to get out of bed before 11 am. I’ve been pretty good at waking up early (which used to be impossible), but most of the time I usually stay in bed for a while just laying there, scrolling through social media and what not.
- I normally straighten my hair every day and just have it down, but lately I’ve been going out with my natural, wavy hair, and trying hairstyles that don’t require me to put heat on my hair. Today I curled it and was actually pleased with the result! (If you know me, you know that I can’t curl hair to save my life. I always end up looking like Goldilocks)
- I’ve been playing around with eyeshadow and experimenting with different looks so that I can try and incorporate it into my daily makeup routine (which has been the same for a good 4 ish years now. Yikes.)
- I’m one of those students who just sits through lectures so I’ve been trying to raise my hand at least once every class.
- I’m forcing myself to make plans with people when I’m bored, rather than just waiting to be invited to something. I’m also pretty shy so I’m challenging myself to try to keep conversations going with people, and start a conversation whenever I can. This one still needs a bit of work though.
Basically I’m trying to seize any opportunity I can to do something different from what I normally do (For all my friends, this point in my life is the perfect time to ask me to work out with you because I will have no choice but to accept your offer). While these may not be anything amazing and mind blowing to you, I think that by allowing myself become used to tiny changes, I will be more open and ready to face any other changes that life likes to throw my way. This isn’t a long and extensive list at all, but you have to start somewhere, right? I challenge anyone reading this to try and do something that is foreign to you or something you’ve always wanted to do, but haven’t had the courage to start it. Maybe you’ll surprise yourself with how you feel afterwards!
PS I’m blown away by how supportive so many of you have been about my blog, even though it’s a baby right now. I was already enjoying doing this, but the fact that I have so much support makes me enjoy this even more. Thank you!!!